Looking for a fun and easy way to give your child the best start in school?
Read with them! Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language skills they need to be ready to learn and grow. Challenge your family to read 1,000 Books “B4” Kindergarten – it’s a fun way to motivate the whole family!
Visit your local library for a 1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten Reading Log.
- Make a note of all the books that your child hears – bedtime stories, in a waiting room, in the car, at school, church, preschool or daycare – any and all books count!
- Be sure to continue to visit your local public library to borrow books and check out more resources to help your child get ready to read.
Contact your local Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System branch to pick up your Reading Log or more information.You can also click here to print out a Reading Log. Program ends July 31, 2015.
Vote for the 2015 Milner Award winner at www.themilneraward.org
The Milner Award encourages children to read by empowering them to select their favorite authors and then bring them to Atlanta for the Milner Award Program each year. School children and their teachers and media specialists have the opportunity to come to the free program to meet the author in person and hear them speak. The winning author is chosen by votes gathered both in the elementary schools and in the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System branches.
Here’s How it Works:
- Vote once for your favorite author by April 1, 2015
- Vote by ballot at your school or library or online at www.themilneraward.org
- Author must be living and cannot have won before (see list of past winners on website)
- The school with the most votes will be given front-row seating and one lucky student will present the award to the winning author for the fall program
2014 Rachel Renee Russell
2013 Jeff Kinney
2012 Dan Gutman
2011 Rick Riordan
2010 Kate DiCamillo
2009 Margie Palatini
2008 David Shannon
2007 Megan McDonald
2006 Laura Numeroff
2005 Helen Lester
PINES Kids’ Catalog
Visit eCampus for homework help and other great resources at www.afpls.org/ecampus